Mélange

A time capsule for myself

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Lessons learned

I had high hopes for this years SFIM. This is my third official Marathon. The first Marathon was the first SFIM last August, I had a whole summer training on bicycle (going over old La Honda to Half Moon Bay) and I was fit. I managed to stay with the pro-Veteran group (Roger Olson and the Fresno Flyers group) for 9 out of the 17 laps, I skated by myself in the wind and finished with 1:38m. Then came March Madness (2008/3), again I tried to stay with the same group, and this time, I was able to hang with them for the entire race. Roger Olson sprinted pass me at the last 20 feet, and I finished with a time of 1:28. So coming into this Marathon, I was feeling pretty good, and I was looking for better results.

I choose pro race, which is the race all these pro-veteran's are entering. Off the start, I was in the front and was able to stay with them as no one is sprinting or anything. I felt pretty good so I wasn't letting anyone to just pass me by. After a couple hundred feet, it split into two parallel group. I jumped onto the one with a teammate, whom I usually can't keep up with. But I was aggressive that day:-). Thus started my struggle to start with the group that is just a little bit out of my reach for now. I didn't do too badly as I stayed with them for 3 laps. At the uphill just before the turnaround, my left calf started cramping but when I looked back, there was no one for a mile at least. The thought of skating by myself was so unbearable. I kept pushing. Towards the end of the hill, I got dropped despite my effort. I felt so bad...in previous races, skating by myself wasn't so bad, but now, I just lost a lot of will suddenly. I struggled another lap, then got caught by the pro-veteran group, and Roger asked me to jump in. I thought I could ride this pack to the finish. Unfortunately, two of them decided that they want to break, so I went with the two, and for about two laps. Finally, my left calf started really bothering me (cramp) and I gave up after lap 7. I have never given up on a race so far, but I was so demoralized after I could not stay with the Pro-veteran pack (which I was able to last Marathon), my will just collapsed.

This was a lesson for me. The good part is that I know I could skate in the pack with the pro-masters (the first laps was 20m/h, then went to about 18-19m/h average). I just need to get more pack drafting practice and endurance in. My three week long trip since March really messed up with my conditioning, so I need to get back in better shape. The bad part I learned is that I must not skate beyond my ability in a long race. I should kept to my plan (staying with the pro-veterans) rather than went aggressive with the pro-masters. Oh well, let's get ready for my next race..may be NAPA valley.

Finally, a photo of me struggling to stay with the pro-masters pack.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home