Mélange

A time capsule for myself

Friday, January 26, 2007

Getting it

Yesterday we had a very tough practice. After doing a few one lap burn, we started the first ladder of the season. This is a endurance drill that starts from 1 slow lap, 1 fast lap, 2 slow, 2 fast....up to 7 slow, and 7 fast. I was very grateful to my teammate who paced in front of me when I hit 4 slow, 4 fast...it was amazing because I knew I definitely wouldn't have skated as fast (if not giving up at some stage) without it.

This was followed by a 12 minutes 2 lap relay. My team took alternating lead with another team (with my daughter in:-) and I got passed every time after my teammate gained the lead back. This happened for the first 4-5 tags. Then I felt I "got it", I was completely comfortable on my ourside edge for the left foot underpush. For the next 5 tags, I never got passed again. I think I got it, the elusive "lean on entry" into the corner. The feeling I got is that I was balanced on both foot during the whole corner and you are moving as if you are skating straight ways. No more short left stroke, long right stroke (or worse, stop stepping).

I think the suicide circles/diagnals we did recently have helped me a lot to get the lean, but I was frustrated that I couldn't do it properly during the suicide circles. However, I think it kind of prepared me for today. I can't wait for the Sunday practice to make sure that I still has it, and I need to do more of it to make sure my muscle will remmember it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home