Mélange

A time capsule for myself

Monday, February 13, 2006

Winter Olympics

During last Sunday's practice, we had another club up north joining us. They had three JO elementary girls, just perfect for Ruri to race against in preparation of her first meet next week. She did pretty well, clocked a 13' in one of the races. So she is now about 0.4 secod behind me:-) One parent commented that may be Ruri got so fast because of the new team uniform she is waring. Kids are just incredible in learning and improving. I may be a little better than my old 12'6, but I don't have the official time yet.

The session this Sunday was intense, two 100 laps to boot, followed with mills. I had 18 people in front of me (meaning I have to lap the whole pack 18 times). I didn't feel that tired afterwards though. I guess the off-skate training I did last week worked. Ruri wasn't tired at all though. Maybe a good thing.

Naturally during the rest period, parents talked about the Winter Olympic speedskating that was going on. So far, the man's speed skating events (5000m and 500m) were both won by ex-inliner of USA (Joel Cheek and Chad Hedrick). If Chad picks up the rest of gold medal as he plans to, the inliners would sweep the gold. That would bring the respect to inline sports. Ruri is very excited watching them. It will also improve the chance that inline speedskate making it to the 2012 summer Olympic (it failed for 2008). Just imagine an inline/ice speedskater will have the luxury to train for both Olympics! That'll be cross training literally. I mentioned that one day maybe she will be there....she didn't say anything, but I can sense that she didn't think no either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home