Mélange

A time capsule for myself

Monday, March 16, 2009

Citrus Height Meet

We drove up to Citrus Height last weekend for the third meet of the season, and my first one. I also began my trial to be speed referee...that will take a whole blog to write about. Suffice to say that it's not a easy job.

Ruri did well, won the short, long, grand championship (when they put the top 3 of boys to race the top three of girls, of two adjacent age group to race together), but lost the open (2nd) to a skater coming from Washington State. She did race in the challenge up races (meaning racing with Sophomore) but she was using them more as warm up rather than really racing.

The master class (35-45) is incredibly competitive, with two guys with national placement, and now 8 skaters. We even had a guy from Australia! I didn't do well in my division races (500, 1000) but placed 5th in the classical and above open. This is my greatest achievement so far in indoor race. I was with the lead group of probably 7 skaters until the last 3 laps or some when it broke up. It was a 30 lapper and I am so glad to see the people who out sprinted me fell behind:-)

So in total, I skated the two standard races, 4 men, 2 men, 2 mix, and open. That was a lot of races in one day, plus I was doing the referee (rolling ref) meaning you have to follow the skaters as they compete, that's a lot of laps. I also got to start the race for Ruri's grand championship where she beat the boy of the freshmen class!

I'll get some photos if I find some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home